Learn about the international sport of orienteering at 3 Wednesday workshops in May.
In orienteering you have a map and a mission. The mission is to find all the checkpoints on your map. You will rely on your wits and powers of observation to find checkpoints in the woods in the specified order.
This is the second workshop in a series of three. In this workshop you will learn the basics of the sport, such as reading a map. You can then apply what you have learned by doing an orienteering course or two. If this is your second or third workshop then you will learn some tips to make you a better navigator.
Registration deadline: May 6
Registration link: goo.gl/forms/qyERewlzWBzZhCT32
Orienteering is an… international sport that our kids describe as a treasure hunt.
We have been orienteering with our four children since they were tiny. We want to share the educational benefits and fun with other homeschooling families. Join us!
Here are two short videos about orienteering:
Comments from HOW 2017:
* “Bonnie, thanks for this fantastic opportunity! We had a great time today and learned a lot. Appreciate that you and your family were willing to share this experience with us!” — R. Grasmick, mom of 3 kids
* “This was such an awesome experience. You deserve a medal for your work in setting this up. So glad you introduced us to orienteering-thank you!” — J. Josey, mom of 3 kids
* “I agree! Such a great skill. Plus the independence and confidence.” — C. Renner, mom of 2 kids
* “It was so much fun!!! Your kids will love it.” — J. Linville, mom of 4 kids
Instruction will occur at 11:00 am, 11:45 am, & 12:30 pm
$9-$36 depending on the size of your family and the number of workshops you want to attend. On-site registration is available at the regular price of $10 per child. Signing up online before May 5 gives you a discount. See the registration link above.
What to wear and bring:
* Come dressed for the weather, especially clothes you don’t mind getting muddy & wet.
* Bring a change of clothes and shoes.
* Bring a lunch and something to drink.
* Invite your friends!
What to expect:
* The registration area is inside a mess hall and it has bathrooms.
* There is a short walk from the parking lot to the mess hall
* These workshops will happen rain or shine. Lightning will cause a delay.
* We will provide instruction (see above), a map with a course on it (which is yours to keep), and the loan of a timing device.
* Any extra course(s) are included in the registration fee. This workshop will have two or three courses.
* Parents can take small children (ages infant-7) on a course. For 8-10 year olds, parents can shadow which means allowing the child to make the navigation decisions but intervening if there is a safety concern. Older kids 10-12 and teens are more likely to want to do a course on their own.
* All courses will be between 1.5 and 3.5 kilometers in length
There is a limit of 200 people for these workshops.
See you there!